Possible Research Topics:
• System-level support for realizing WSN applications that are reliable and reconfigurable from the lowest-levels of the network stack to the application layer.
• Development-time support for building autonomic and reconfigurable applications for networked embedded systems and sensor networks.
• Distributed component based software engineering approaches for networked heterogeneous networked embedded systems such as sensors, smart phones and web pads.
Profile & Skills:
• The student must demonstrate significant enthusiasm for, and knowledge of the subject area based upon their previous education, work and research experience.
• A master degree in Computer Science or Informatics with previous experience in: Distributed Systems, Middleware, Embedded Systems or related areas.
• A team player with the capability to work in an international research team.
• Proficiency in English and excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
DistriNet is an international research group with extensive expertise in secure and distributed software – obviously including middleware . Research on software engineering techniques is performed in both domains on a wide range of topics such as middleware for cloud computing, internet architectures, network and software security, embedded systems and multi-agent systems. Embedded in the department of Computer Science of the K.U.Leuven, DistriNet has a headcount of over 70 researchers of which 9 professors and 15 Post-Docs.
DistriNet has a tradition of application driven research often in close collaboration with industry partners. Currently DistriNet is actively involved in about 35 national and international research projects, ranging from fundamental over strategic-basic to applied research. More information on projects and publications can be found at the IBBT-DistriNet web pages: http://distrinet.cs.kuleuven.be.
The three open positions are situated within a team that has been established to provide software development support for Wireless Sensor Networks.
Latest application date: 2011-12-31
Type of Position: scholarship
Source of Funding: IWT
Duration of the Project : 4 years